The process of becoming a legal resident of the United States means working through a complex bureaucracy that can become costly and involve government delays. But getting your Green Card will allow you to live, work and travel freely. Changes are being proposed to the visa system, so it’s important to work with an Illinois immigration attorney as soon as possible. The Mitra Firm has the experience to navigate the process and help you become a permanent resident.
Green Cards/Solutions for Residents
These visas can be obtained for residents, currently in good status, via employment, family or lottery system. In addition, unique sets of facts may present alternative options for residents. These are some of the options for pursuing a Green Card.
- Family Members: If you have a spouse, if you have a child at least 21 years of age, or a parent who is a U.S. citizen, our attorneys can file a Petition for Alien Relative on your behalf. This process may include family members with Green Cards in good standing, but can be tedious if you do not know the process.
- Employment Based: People who have received a job offer in the U.S. can start the Green Card process by applying through an Immigration Petition for Alien Worker. Employment-based residency involves extensive labor-related steps.
- Entrepreneurs: For people who make a substantial investment into a key industrial sector may have an opportunity to earn a Green Card through the Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur process.
- Lottery: Approximately 50,000 people may be randomly selected based on the Immigrant Diversity Visa Lottery Program of 1996 Immigration Act.
- Special Immigrant Juvenile Status: Foreign-born children can apply for Green Cards if a court decides that it’s in the minor’s best interest to remain in the United States. To qualify, he or she must be under 21, eligible for foster care or a ward of the state as a result of abuse or neglect. It’s important to act on this option swiftly. Those over 21 years old are not eligible.
- Unique Skills: In rare cases, prominent athletes, elite intellectuals, and translators who assisted the U.S. Armed Forces overseas may be eligible for a Green Card based on their extraordinary skills and efforts.
Contact an Illinois Immigration Attorney
For those living in the United States in good standing, it’s important not to wait until there is an emergency to hire an immigration lawyer. At the Mitra Firm, we can help you get on the pathway to permanent legal residency in the United States. Call us today for a consultation.